This kit consists of four investigations, each designed to emphasize a particular type of metric measurement; length, mass, temperature, and volume. It teaches the skills needed to perform experimentation as students progress through school.Top
FOSS expects students to..
• Understand the necessity for standard units of measurement.
• Develop an understanding and intuitive feel for the metric system.
• Measure length and distance in meters and centimeters with a meter tape.
• Measure mass in grams with a balance and mass pieces.
• Measure liquid volume and capacity of containers in liters and milliliters with 50-ml syringes and graduated cylinders.
• Measure temperature of liquids and air in degrees Celsius with a thermometer.
• Acquire the vocabulary associated with metric measurement.
• Apply appropriate measuring skills in everyday situations.
• Develop and refine the manipulative skills required for making and using measuring tools.
• Use scientific thinking processes to conduct investigations and build explanations: observing, communicating, comparing, and organizing.
PISCES Project Supporters
|National Science Foundation|
Biogen Idec ||
Boston Scientific ||
Girard Foundation ||
Hewlett Packard Foundation ||
Qualcomm Incorporated ||
San Diego Science Alliance || Sprint || The Legoland Foundation ||
Richard D. Winter Jr. Matching Gift || A generous gift from the Edgar Hardy Family || The San Diego Foundation's Reuben H. Fleet Discretionary Fund & Colonel Frank C. Wood Memorial Fund || Todd and Mari Gutschow Family Foundation || Anne Prause Blue || Proxima || Marilyn and Martin Colby